2021 Magic Wand Pleasure as Art
Call for Artists: Request for Qualifications (RFQ)
Application Period: May 10 – June 30, 2021 at 11:59pm PT
Maximum Commission to be Awarded: $10,000
The Magic Wand Pleasure as Art Competition is an open invitation to artists nationwide to design a one-of-a-kind art piece using 100 inactive Magic Wand massagers (see image below). The winning artist’s creation will be put on tour and proudly displayed at prominent locations across the country.
Beginning May 10, 2021, our online entry form will go live right here on this webpage. Interested artists must complete the entry form and submit descriptions and sketches of their proposed design. Our judges will narrow down the entries to ten finalists, after which a single winning design will be selected. The winning designer will be given a paid commission and supplied with 100 Magic Wands to be used in their design. Once complete, the finished art piece will be put on tour and featured in retail shops, boutiques, and showrooms around the country.
Create meaningful, pleasure-positive art that celebrates the joy Magic Wand has brought to millions of people. We want to show the world that Magic Wand’s power can inspire smiles without even vibrating!
This competition is open to all professional artists and/or artist-led teams residing in the 48 contiguous United States. Artist and/or constituent team members must certify that they are 18 years old or older at the time of entry submission. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, gender, gender variance, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, political opinion or affiliation, or mental or physical ability. To be considered, artists must have demonstrated experience accomplishing work of similar scope and scale.
Artwork Goals and Parameters:
The finished art piece is intended to inspire observers to think about the celebration of pleasure and the joy the Magic Wand has brought to millions of people over the last fifty years. Physically, the art piece may be a sculpture, flat arrangement of the required products, or any combination of the two. Mixed media and additional elements are acceptable so long as the following parameters are met:
- The finished piece must be freestanding and secured to base that provides support without the need for additional structural elements such as cables, braces, or permanent fasteners. It should be stable enough to withstand minor accidental contact without tipping.
- The finished piece may be static or animated so long as the design remains self-supporting and does not require unusual technical intervention by display venue staff.
- Powered elements for motion, illumination, audio, and etc… should use common connections and be designed following any and all recommended safety requirements associated with the elements being used. Artist should assume no special electrical or mechanical support will be provided by the display venues.
- The finished piece may incorporate elements designed for physical observer interaction so long as the design remains stable when manipulated as intended.
- Magic Wand will provide 100 non-working, fully sanitized wands. Product dimensions are as shown in the image below.
- Artist’s design must incorporate at least 50 wands which may be used complete or disassembled.
- Display locations will vary, but artist should assume the piece may be viewable from any vantage point, and therefore should avoid having an unfinished section they do not want visible.
- Final size is left to the artist’s creative judgement, but venue constraints will limit overall assembled dimensions* to 6’-0” wide x 6’-0” deep x 6’-0” tall. The piece will need to be shipped in crate(s) that will fit through a 3’-0” wide door. *Final dimensions subject to change prior to entry submission period, but will not change once entries are accepted.
- The finished piece must be designed to withstand repeated shipping from location to location.
- Artist will NOT be responsible for crating or shipping but WILL be responsible for making provisions for secure packing to avoid damage in transit. Anchor points, bracing, or other elements may either be integral to the structure of the piece or easily installed using Artist’s instructions. Intended design of these elements may be requested by the selection committee and may be considered as part of the judging criteria.
- Artist shall be responsible for providing specific instructions for any required disassembly prior to shipping and reassembly upon arrival. Intended details of these instructions may be requested by the selection committee and may be considered as part of the judging criteria.
- All parameters are subject to change prior to entry submission period. Final parameters will be included or linked on the entry form.
- Artist is encouraged to direct any questions to: email@example.com.
Project Budget & Artist Commission
- The winning artist or team (Artist) will be contracted by Magic Wand/Vibratex to provide a “work for hire” art piece (The Piece). Commission for this work will be up to $10,000 USD. Upon contract execution, Artist may request up to $2,500 USD for supplies and fabrication expenses. Balance of the total commission will be paid upon approved completion of the art piece.
- The total commission is also inclusive of Artist’s provision of up to two (2) repair/refurbishment sessions should the piece be damaged during the tour. Cost of these sessions is to be included in the Artists’ total commission. Costs associated with shipping the piece to-and-from Artist’s location for repair will be the sole responsibility of Vibratex/Magic Wand.
- Artist will be responsible for all costs associated with design and fabrication of the final piece inclusive of all required elements described in the Artwork Parameters above.
- Vibratex/Magic Wand shall be responsible for all other costs following pick up of the completed (and/or repaired) piece.
- The initial selection committee will be made up of Vibratex/Magic Wand personnel as well as individuals with expertise in either sexual wellness, retail, or design.
- For impartiality, the final selection committee will be as above, excluding the Vibratex/Magic Wand personnel.
- Initial selection will narrow entries to ten (10) finalists.
- Final judging will select the winning design.
- Honorable mention/runners up may also be announced, but not mandatory or promised.
- Designs will be judged subjectively following suggested guidelines that include: adherence to the specified theme, positive representation of the Magic Wand brand; and general aesthetic appeal.
- Designs will be judged objectively based on safety and adherence to the provided design parameters.
- Material considered for initial and final selections may include any or all of the following: information provided in artist’s submission; submitted design sketches, drawings, or examples; previously completed designs or references upon request.
- The selection committee may request additional information from the Artist in order to determine Artist’s greater experience; willingness to work collaboratively with Vibratex/Magic Wand personnel; ability to meet deadlines; ability/facility to provide support and repairs as necessary.
- April 2021: Contest announced, public notice begins
- May 10, 2021: Entry form goes live, submission period begins
- June 30, 2021: Submission period ends
- Mid July 2021: Ten finalists selected and notified
- End July 2021: Winning artist selected, design revealed
- October, 2021: Final piece unveiled at first tour location
*All dates subject to change
Artists may apply individually or as a team. Submissions that arrive on or before 11:59 Pacific Time on June 30, 2021 and meet all the application requirements will be reviewed. To be considered for this project, applicants must submit all of the required materials via the website form on magicwandoriginal.com. There is no application fee or purchase required. No other method of submission will be accepted. If you need technical or adaptive assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Any materials not specifically requested as part of this application or exceeding the maximum page length or format requirements will not be considered or reviewed by the selection committee. Late or incomplete applications, and those not submitted within these parameters, as specifically detailed on the submission, or as requested separately, will not be considered. See submission form for the complete list of requirements.
Artist(s) awarded a winning commission will be required to enter into a separate, binding agreement with Vibratex/Magic Wand. A sample of this agreement will be made available upon request to email@example.com. Refusal or inability to enter into this agreement will constitute forfeiture of the award – inclusive of prizes/commissions – and a runner-up will be selected to complete the project.
Any and all questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.